Xin Da Educational Computer is a toy laptop, admirably designed for toddlers. Like an adult laptop, the Xin Da Educational Computer has a keypad and a open/close monitor which flashes digital display of alphabets and numbers in red colour.
The Keypad includes a power button, volume keys, numbers 1- 10, alphabets in both upper and lower cases, a mathematical function key, two keys for fruits (Watermelon and Strawberry) and two keys for animals (Gorilla and Panda). The keypad also includes a speaker that renders good quality of audio.
Xin Da Educational Computer features the following functions:
Here’s a video demo of the functions:
- Languages: Children can learn in English and Chinese using the respective language keys.
- Letter Mode: After keying in the ‘Letter Mode’, when an alphabet key is pressed, the respective alphabet is displayed on the monitor and a computerised voice pronounces the alphabet. In the letter mode, when numbers are pressed, musical notes are played. The fruits and animals keys will speak the names of the respective fruit/animal.
- Word Mode: After keying in the ‘Word Mode’, when an alphabet key is pressed, the audio of a word beginning with the respective alphabet is heard while the monitor displays the letter. Note that the sticker images that the words denote can be found around the monitor. For instance, if you key in ‘A’, the monitor displays ‘A’ and the audio pronounces ‘Airplane’, the image of which can be found around the monitor. In the word mode, when numbers are pressed, the respective number is displayed on the monitor while the computerised voice pronounces the number. The fruits and animals keys will speak the names and the sounds of the respective fruit/animal.
- Spell Mode: In the spell mode, when an alphabet is pressed, it spells the word which begins with the respective alphabet. For example, when ‘A’ is pressed, it spells the word ‘A-I-R-P-L-A-N-E’ and the monitor displays the respective alphabets’A-I-R-P-L-A-N-E’ along with the audio. The fruits and animals keys willspell the names of the respective fruit/animal.
- Music Mode: When the ‘Music Mode’ is pressed, it plays the music of the ‘ABC’ song.
- Singing Mode: When the ‘Singing Mode’ is pressed, it sings the ‘ABC’ song.
- Asking Mode: When the ‘Singing Mode’ is pressed, it will ask a question. If the right key is pressed, it will declare that it is the right answer. If the wrong key is pressed, it will say that it is the wrong answer and inform what was the key that was pressed. For instance, if the question is, “Press the alphabet ‘Q’, if you press the Q key, it will say that it’s right. However, if you press ‘R’, it will inform that the answer is wrong and what you had pressed was ‘R’. More examples of questions: Where is Gorilla? Pressing the animal (Gorilla key) key will give the right answer. Where is Square? Pressing the alphabet ‘S’ key will give the right answer.
- +/- (Mathematical Function) Key: When this key is pressed, it will ask an addition/subtraction based question. Example, 6+3= what. If you press the ‘9’ key, it will declare it is the right answer.
The Xin Da Educational Computer can offer great entertainment and learning for kids of around 2 – 5 years. It is portable with an handle for easy carrying, weightless and occupies less space. It comes packed in a compact cardboard box. It requires 3 AA batteries for operation. The size is compact for a toddler. The visual, audio and the key pad quality are good. It is available in online shopping portals and quite affordable.